Restating Clay Conference 13 March 18
Hello Scottish Potters
You are invited to the following event:
RESTATING CLAY CONFERENCE
Event to be held at the following time, date and location:
Monday, 19 March 2018 at 12:00
- to -
Tuesday, 20 March 2018 at 17:00 (GMT)
Yorkshire Museum and Kings Manor
YO1 7FR York
Share this event:
Restating Clay Conference:
Making, learning, communicating & collecting contemporary studio ceramics
The Restating Clay conference will bring together potters, artists, curators, academics, students, collectors, gallerists and enthusiasts from the UK and beyond, to share experience and knowledge about the issues that matter to the sector. Delegates will have the opportunity to engage in an exciting programme of talks, panel discussions, demonstrations, films, posters, store and exhibition visits.
DAY 1 - 19 March: The Yorkshire Museum and York Art Gallery
DAY 2 - 20 March: King’s Manor
The programme is arranged around four thematic pathways, each introduced by an internationally renowned keynote speaker:
1. Make/Promote/Collect - exploring ways to develop, promote and sell ceramics.
Keynote speaker: Garth Clark, preeminent curator, gallerist, writer and critic, currently Chief Editor for the non-profit CFile Foundation, a global online campus for contemporary ceramics in art, design, architecture and technology that broadcasts daily from Santa Fe, New Mexico.
2. Adapt/Respond/Advocate - questioning the state of the discipline; opportunities, challenges and the future of contemporary studio ceramics.
Keynote speaker: Linda Sormin, artist-educator whose objects and site-responsive installations - exploring issues of fragility, aggression, mobility, survival and regeneration – have been exhibited internationally. She is Associate Professor of Ceramic Art at the New York State College of Ceramics at Alfred University.
3. Investigate/Reflect/Exhibit - examining approaches to researching, curating, interpreting and writing about ceramics.
Keynote speaker: Wendy Gers, art director and independent curator, internationally recognised for her pioneering research in the domains of ceramic art, design and theory. She is a founding coordinator of La Céramique Comme Experience (CCE) at the Ecole Nationale Supérieure d'Arts, Limoges, France.
4. Instigate/Educate/Nurture - considering teaching, learning, and professional development, to maintain and maximise creative practice.
Keynote speaker: Jennifer Zwilling, Curator of Artistic Programmes at The Clay Studio in Philadelphia. She joined The Clay Studio in January 2015 from the Philadelphia Museum of Art where she was most recently Assistant Curator for American Decorative Arts and Contemporary Craft.
Further Programme Details
Paul Greenhalgh, Director of the Sainsbury Centre for Visual Arts at the University of East Anglia, will introduce the keynote speakers and provide closing remarks and reflections at the end of the two-day event.
Other contributors include: Christie Brown, Shlomit Bauman, Steve Dixon, Susan Halls, Andrew Livingstone, Paul March, Phoebe Cummings, Eva Masterman and many more. The full programme will be published shortly.
The Restating Clay Conference is supported by the Arts Council England (ACE) Museum Resilience Fund.
This is a non-profit activity; all funds raised are to cover the costs of delivering the event, with the aim of educating and helping members of the Contemporary Studio Ceramics Subject Specialist Network.
We hope you can make it.
- 2018-05-05 MoKa Pottery presents Jeremy Randall
- 2018-03-05 Pottery Tour to France with Marian Howell 7th July 2018
- 2018-02-26 Nottingham Castle Ballantyne Event 24Mar18
- 2018-02-26 SPA Workshop with glazes & clay making 21April18
- 2018-02-03 MoKa Pottery presents Jeremy Randall 5th May
- 2018-01-28 PhD Research - Media, Arts and Design (WSMAD) September 2018
- 2018-01-28 Future Lights Ceramics Competition!
- 2018-01-28 Restating Clay Conference 13 March 18
- 2018-01-28 Phd Opportunity at Ulster!
- 2018-01-24 Tulliallan Demonstrator - Roger Lewis